Pierre’s on George
Pierre’s is an icon as Tasmania’s oldest café! It has undergone many changes since opening its doors in 1956 but maintains its status as a local favourite for dining in Launceston. We offer friendly service in a relaxed atmosphere for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our menus feature contemporary Tasmanian cuisine with a strong focus on local produced sourced from around our beautiful island state. Our dining area is welcoming and bright for breakfast and lunch, and it transforms to a more formal and sophisticated ambiance for our dinner guests.
After working alongside the Birchmore family for more than seven years Front of House Manager Amy Hallam and Head Chef Jonathan Barnard now have the privilege of carrying on Pierre’s name and making it the place to be for a new generation of Tasmanians and travellers alike.
In 2007, the Birchmore Family bought the business and purchased the freehold from the Lecomptes. During 2008, the new owners gave Pierre’s a total rebuild to give it a more modern feel while carrying on its tradition for delectable meals. The building was Heritage Listed but in need of a major overhaul. The transformation was complex, required careful planning and was a large investment. The year-long rebuild involved the employment of local trade, and the refit used local product wherever possible. Once completed, Pierre’s was able to re-open its doors in January of 2009.
Pierre’s opened its doors in 1956, becoming instantly famous for housing one of the very first Italian espresso machines to come to Australia. Our famous restaurant has become iconic as Tasmania’s Oldest Brasserie Cafe (Australia’s second oldest). For more than half a century, Pierre’s continued to be the popular place downtown where people would meet, dine, socialise and relax. The original owners, Pierre and Helen Lecompte, operated the business for more 30 years to create a unique dining experience.
- Winner ‘Northern Tasmania On A Plate Award’ Restaurant Of The Year 2014.
- TripAdvisor 2014 Certificate of Excellence
- Australian Good Food & Travel Guide Readers’ Choice Award 2014
- Australian Good Food & Travel Guide 2014
- TripAdvisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence
- Trip Advisor ‘Highly Recommended’ 2013
- Brisbane Good Food Guide 2013
- Urbanspoon 2013 (4.5 stars out of 5)
- Australian Good Food & Travel Guide – AGFG “Chef Hats” 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
- 2010 Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Awards
- 2009 Gourmet Traveller Recommended Wine List